Dr. Sarah Voelkel is originally from rural southern Indiana. She attended Indiana University, graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology and minor in Chemistry. She then attended The Dr. William M Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine in North Chicago, Illinois.
Upon receiving her Doctorate, she received comprehensive training in foot and ankle surgery during her 3 year surgical residency training with Norton Healthcare in Louisville, KY.
She has been in private practice in Louisville, KY since completing her residency and is now making Lexington her home.
Dr. Voelkel has extensive training in both forefoot and rearfoot surgery. She can provide a wide range of surgical correction for many foot conditions including bunions, hammertoes, arthritis, some joint replacements, tendon injuries, ankle injuries and fractures.
She lives in Lexington with her husband, A.J., and their three children Wyatt, Ava and Faith. Her husband A.J. is also a graduate of Indiana University where he received his Bachelor of Science in Biology and Bachelor of Arts in Political Science. He then went to medical school at Indiana University School of Medicine where he earned a combined MD/MBA degree. Then, to join his wife in Louisville, he did a residency in Internal Medicine at University of Louisville and is currently completing his chief year. He will further his training now at the University of Kentucky as a Cardiology fellow.
IN THE NEWS
Dr. Voelkel is a frequent columnist for KYForward and Health 360, sharing tips and advice with Kentuckians state-wide. Her foot and ankle surgical expertise and articles about children’s foot concerns have made her a sought after source for foot health education.
Undergraduate: Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Degree: Bachelor of Science, Kinesiology
Date of Graduation: May 2003
Professional: Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine, North Chicago, Illinois
Date of Graduation: May 2008
Residency: Norton Audubon Hospital
Kentucky Podiatric Residency Program PM&S-36: 2008-2011
- NBPME Part I (2006)
- NBPME Boards Part II (2008)
- NBPME Boards Part III, PM Lexus (2008)
- State of Kentucky Licensure (2008)
- ABPS Board Qualified in Foot Surgery (2011)
- ABPS Board Qualified Reconstructive Rearfoot/Ankle Surgery (2011)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Attending Physician for Kentucky Podiatric Residency Program (2011-2013)
- Vice President of Academics, Class of 2008 (2008)
- Durlacher Honor Society (2005-2008)
- APMA Educational Foundation Scholar (2006-2007)
- Dr. Ray and Lois Ward Half-tuition Scholar (2005-2006)
- Scholl Merit Scholar (2004-2005)
- American Podiatric Medical Association – Member at large
- Kentucky Podiatric Medical Association – Member at large
- American College of Foot & Ankle Surgeons – Member at Large
In addition to chasing three small children around at home, Dr. Voelkel is also passionate about running as a hobby! She also loves helping runners get back on track after an injury has sidelined them. She completed three half marathons in addition to other race lengths. When she’s not ‘running around’, the family also enjoys spending time outdoors walking and hiking. In the winter, they love to root for their favorite college basketball team…which you can probably guess from her undergraduate school.