There’s no FUN in fungus
Do your feet or toes itch? Have you had dry skin with flaking or scaling for a long time? Is there some discoloration and thickening in your toenail? Then you know there’s no FUN in fungus – no matter how you want to spell it.
Many people chalk this up to aging and dry skin. Unfortunately as we age, our chances of getting a fungal infection increase. The symptoms above can all occur or just one can occur during a bout of foot fungus. Most of my patients are aware of toenail fungus and the typical athlete’s foot between the toes. However, did you know fungus can also frequent the bottom of the foot as well?
Luckily for us, there are also many products that can cure the fungi painlessly! These can range from topical creams to oral medication depending on the patient and the severity.
There are also many prevention strategies that people use to stop it from returning. Fungus likes a warm and humid environment – preventing that is key. Here are some tips:
- We like to use ShoeZap Shoe Sanitizer that kills the bacteria and fungi that cause toenail fungus, athlete’s foot and offensive foot odor. Why put your healthy foot right back into a shoe that may be contaminated with foot fungus? We supply ShoeZap at Lexington Podiatry for your convenience and it won’t break the bank.
- The type of socks you wear can reduce re-occurrence. We recommend socks knit with special copper ion thread that specialize in moisture-wicking – never plain cotton socks.
- Frequently washing your feet and using anti-fungal powder can help prevent the re-occurrence of fungus as well.
- At Lexington Podiatry, you can find many beautiful shades of Dr.’s Remedy Toenail Polish. These polishes are specially enriched with:
- Tea Tree Oil: an essential oil obtained from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifornia, which is found to have antiseptic and anti-fungal activity.
- Garlic Bulb Extract: contains Allicin, a powerful antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral agent that joins forces with Vitamin C to help kill harmful germs.
- Vitamins C&E: for healthier skin and nails.
- Wheat Protein: a vegetable derived, a high-quality protein which contains moisture-binding capabilities and naturally increases shine.
There are many other skin conditions that can mimic foot or toe fungus, so it’s tough to self-diagnose and trust over-the-counter aids. If you are experiencing foot, toenail fungus or problems with the skin on your feet, come see us. Depending on the type of fungus, we can help find the best treatment and prevention strategies for you. Make an appointment today.