Back To School
For a lot of us, back-to-school means buying school supplies, maybe a few new outfits for the colder weather coming up, and transitioning back into the craziness of everyday life. Here at Lexington Podiatry it also means doing a post-summer check-in with our feet to make sure they are still in tip top shape after months of being exposed to the elements. Not sure what a foot check should include? Dr. Carter has a list of five things she recommends EVERYBODY does before transitioning back into post-vacation craziness.
- If you have custom orthotics, make sure they are still in good condition and fit well into your fall shoes. If you wore sandals all summer long, chances are your custom orthotics didn’t get much use. Before summer is officially over we recommend going through your closet and testing your orthotics in all of the shoes you think you’ll be wearing this fall. You want to make sure they fit into the shoe well with no bunching and that there is minimal wear and tear. Remember, orthotics don’t help your feet if they’re too worn or don’t fit correctly!
- Give your nails the chance to breathe and stay away from nail polish for the next few months. When left on too long, nail polish can trap fungus and bacteria under the nail, causing some major issues. If you wear nail polish to disguise your yellowing toenails, then the fall and winter months are a great time to begin topical and laser treatments to improve their appearance. If you start now, your nails will be flip flop ready by next summer!
- If you went to the pool, went to the beach, or simply spent any time outside, you probably lived in sandals. We love a good (podiatrist approved) sandal as much as the next person, but they can be incredibly hard on your skin. Oftentimes the end of summer means lots of cracks and dryness for your feet. This just means your feet need ample time to heal throughout the winter months. We recommend moisturizing your feet daily and using a pumice stone to buff off extremely rough spots. Your feet will thank you!
- All of these recommendations apply to your kids feet as well! Since the end of summer means that kids are returning to school and sports, it’s so important to make sure that they have the right shoes for their daily activities. At the very least, they need a good pair of tennis shoes. If you need recommendations, Brooks are always a great option!
- Last but certainly not least, if your feet are hurting from summer shoes and activities, make sure to get them evaluated sooner rather than later! Because we are on our feet constantly throughout the day, it’s so easy for a minor foot problem to quickly snowball into a major foot problem.
Remember, pain and discomfort are your body’s way of letting you know that something isn’t right. The worst thing you can do for your feet is ignore them when something seems off. If you feel like something is wrong, chances are, it is!